Thursday, September 29, 2016

Travel & Tourism

Last semester I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad at the University of Westminster in London. Over the course of about four months, I was able to explore London and six other European cities. While I cannot say I regret anything, I do wish that I had done a bit more research before taking on these adventures because I feel that I did miss some key sites. When I got back to the Adrian G. Marcuse Library, I decided to check out their selection of travel and tourism books and was nothing less than impressed. If you are currently planning a trip, definitely check out the library for all kinds of interesting reads. Since I am planning on going back to the United Kingdom, I decided to focus on books about England and London.

Many of the travel and tourism books are located in the “914” section. A few books that I found to be of interest were, 1000 Things to Do in Britain published by Time Out Magazine and The Beatles’ London: A Guide to 467 Beatles Sites In and Around London.

1000 Things to Do in Britain (914.1 TIM) is a typical guidebook. However, it focuses on Britain as a whole and not just London. I’ve found that there are not too many books that focus on the whole country because London is, of course, the tourist hub. I definitely want to check out places outside of London to get a better feel for the British culture so I know this book will be helpful.


It is almost impossible to mention London without mentioning The Beatles. The Beatles’ London (914.21 SCH) covers everything there is to know about the band and their city. It is a must-read for any die-hard fans.

Be sure to check out the LIM College Library when planning your next trip!

Posted on October 05, 2016 I Blog post by Rachel Gass (student worker of the LIM College Library)